Way of Life’s October Newsletter
Way of Life is celebrating October with our annual Fall Into Health Celebration, Saturday, October 13th. Way of Life will be offering a store wide sale, raffle gift basket drawings, product demos and samples as well as live music and refreshments, fun to be had by all. October is also Breast Cancer Awareness and Non GMO month. Susun Weed offers some effective tips for breast health in this months article. Way of Life is featuring Dr. Bernardo Valero with a lecture on How to Overcome Chronic Pain Wed, October 10th. Way of Life has some great deals this month with Line Drives from Nutrigold @ 20% off, Mickelberry Gardens @ 20% off, Nu Leaf @ 20% off, DoMatcha @ 20% off, Enzymedica @ 25% off and New Chapter @ 25% off. Maintain that healthy glow with products from Acure @ 20% off, Wild Carrot @ 20% off and Andalou @ 15% off
More than a store…a Way of Life.
Easy Things You Can Do Now To Help Prevent Breast Cancer
by Susun Weed – Excerpt reprinted with permission.
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. But many women are calling it Breast Health Awareness Month! Rather than focusing on breast cancer, we choose to concentrate on keeping our breasts healthy through wise lifestyle and dietary choices.
The following tips are supported with strong research – from the lab, with animals, and in long-term human studies. Thus, each of these tips has a solid scientific basis.
1. Be more active – Evidence continues to accumulate that a vigorous lifestyle is one of the best ways to cut breast cancer risk. A study of 20,624 Norwegian women found those who exercised or worked out regularly cut their breast cancer risk by 72%. (NEJM, 5/1/1997)
2. Eat more unrefined seed foods – All seeds provide phytoestrogens. Women who eat the most phytoestrogenic foods are four times less likely to be diagnosed with breast cancer than those who eat the least. “No study has shown a degree of risk reduction similar to that found for phytoestrogens …” (Lancet, 10/4/1997)
Whole grains such as wheat, rice, corn, kasha, millet, and quinoa are unrefined seed foods. Beans such as lentils, black beans, pinto beans, lima beans, and chickpeas are unrefined seed foods. Nuts including peanuts, walnuts, almonds, and pecans are unrefined seed foods. And edible seeds such as sesame, sunflower, and pumpkin are unrefined seed foods. Fruits and vegetables that are eaten with their seeds – such as strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, kiwi fruit, summer squash, tomatoes, and cucumbers – count as unrefined seed foods. Even seeds used as seasonings count, such as cumin, coriander, caraway, anise, and dill seeds.
3. Eat less vegetable oil; increase animal fat, especially from dairy products – “Diets high in corn oil leave animals especially vulnerable to chemically induced cancers” say researchers.” (Science News, 6/24/89; 10/2/99) Frightening as this statement is, it is not true only of corn oil but of all vegetable (or seed) oils including those made from soy, sesame, sunflower, cottonseed, and hemp. Remember that olive oil is pressed from a fruit, not a seed. Women whose diets are high in olive oil, and who eat meat and dairy products regularly, have the lowest rates of breast cancer in the world. (Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 1/18/1995)
5. Sleep in the dark – Exposure to light at night increases the risk of breast cancer. The Journal of the National Cancer Institute (8/17/2001) reports that chronic suppression of melatonin – an anti-cancer hormone made only in the dark – increases breast cancer risk by at least 36%.
For breast health, be certain there is no light (except from the moon) in the room where you sleep. Not even a night-light. Not the light from a clock. Not the little lights on electronics.
6. Drink red clover blossom infusion – see recipe below.
Susun Weed, green witch and wise woman, is an extraordinary teacher with a joyous spirit, a powerful presence, and an encyclopedic knowledge of herbs and health. She is the voice of the Wise Woman Way, where common weeds, simple ceremony, and compassionate listening support and nourish health/wholeness/holiness. She has opened hearts to the magic and medicine of the green nations for three decades. Link to the full source article – http://www.susunweed.com/Article_Prevent_Breast_Cancer.htm
6:30 – 8:00 pm